Translate

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Monty Don's tomato sauce


The following excerpt taken from an article written by Monty Don in the Observer, 24 August 2003
In winter I make tomato sauces that are thick and jammy and packed with onion, garlic, thyme, oregano and parsley. Often they are best the next day, eaten standing up from the pan with scoops of bread. It is my eldest son's favourite breakfast. But in summer I like sauces that are really little more than the fruits boiled in their juices with a fresh garlic and olive oil. This year I am growing 'Beefsteak', 'Gardener's Delight', 'Costoluto Fiorentino' and 'Cuor di Bue' (often sold as 'Oxheart'). The last of these has large, heart-shaped fruits that are very pink and fleshy and is the best of the bunch for this summer sauce. The garlic was easy as I had harvested my 'Printenor' a month ago.