Translate

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Tulipa Angelique & A Sleepy Bee

After yesterday's festivities and high jinks the hordes slept in until midday. Unbelievably, I slept until after 11am, an almost unheard of event, and one worth recording with my camera.  I'm not entirely sure how I've achieved the following pictures, but I think I may be on the verge of taking close-ups sans blur... now that really is a miracle.




"Double late tulips are sometimes called paeony-flowered varieties. Their blooms are fully double and crammed with petals so that the overall outline is one of a wide cup rather than a typically tight tulip shape. 'Angelique' is outstanding the blooms are a soft blush pink that deepens with age, with a rich apple blossom ink developing at the edges, and green markings on the outside. Like all double tulips, it needs some shelter to prevent wind and rain dashing the heavy blooms. Planting close together with hidden support in the centre of the group is a great help. The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its Award of Garden Merit (AGM)."

No comments: