Translate

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Pyrus communis "Doyenne du Comice"






I've counted them. Between seven and nine blossoms from each of 81 flower buds. That's hundreds of pears. This is clearly going to be my most severe horticultural test yet. I know the June Drop will sort out many of the fruits, but can I really show the discipline to reduce each cluster down to two fruits? From hundreds to 162? And to think last year this lovely espalier managed only one fruit bud on the lowest branch, all of which fell off in May. The bottom picture shows the clusters of rounded leaves and chocolate-purple racemes of the Akebia quinata, and try as I might, I can't detect its legendary spicy fragrance. Maybe I'm distracted by thoughts of juicily dripping pears eaten warm from the branch.

No comments: